Friday, March 04, 2005

Driving, driving and a bit more driving

Of course with any road trip, there's the small matter of the driving. Road trips don't exist in the UK simply because there's not enough road for it to become a defining feature of any trip.

But in the States roads have been synonymous with the notion of exploration and a genuine linkage between states as different in history and society as any country in Europe is different from its neighbour.

I wonder if that difference still exists - or has the age of local flights and national TV collapsed those differences into a homogenous "all"?

How different will the various stops on our journey be?

And of course, this holiday is not just about the stops it's about the roads in between.

We plan for the stops yet the journey itself is an unknown.

And the unknown breeds uncertainty.

But I have a suspicion that somehow the journeys will end up being the most memorable part of our holiday.

Not long until we find out......

7 Comments:

Blogger sAP said...

I did have a plan for a 1200-miles-in-7-days road trip across south India 2 weeks ago. Went caput after a motorcycle hit my car doing 90 miles an hour after we headed out for about 200 miles. Had to send my car back to the showroom and proceed by public transport. That's a lot of uncertainty for sure! :)

7:21 AM  
Blogger teresa said...

I had a great 2 week road trip around England and Scotland.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Gil G. said...

Seems like you guys have had a great trip. I´m currently 3 months into my southamerican trip. From the language you used I was able to guess that you were from the UK, I still appreciate the differences (not all homogenous). Cheers.
Gil
ggrenier.blogspot.com

10:32 PM  
Blogger appu sugathan said...

yours is kool and u look cute.

11:50 AM  
Blogger IndigoMary said...

Interesting and great pics. Enjoying life...Its nice to observe too..Have fun in yout furture travels.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Raychell said...

am doing a blogger class in Oz, cool site well done ,Rach

3:06 AM  
Blogger JenLuvsYeshua said...

I really enjoyed reading about your trip. Good luck to you both!!

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home